Protect Your Home From Brush Fires
SERVPRO of Scottsdale is here to remind you that fire damage caused by brush fires are a very real danger during the hot summer months. According to the City of Phoenix, “brush fires consume hundreds of homes in the Brush/Urban Interface” Many factors can contribute to brush fires occurring such as people throwing cigarettes on the ground, sparks from vehicles, and lightning strikes. As a homeowner or businessowner, it’s better to be safe by taking into account any dry vegetation near your property by creating a defensible space around your property and having a plan in place. Here are a few tips to consider:
- Keep vegetation such as grass, tress, bushes maintained by regularly trimming and mowing.
- Remove any dead vegetation or overgrowth.
- Maintain an area of about 15 feet around your home.
- Do not park your vehicles on dead brush.
- If you smoke, do not throw lighted cigarettes on the ground.
Maintaining a defensible space around your home can help safeguard your home if a brush fire were to occur nearby. Be sure to stay informed by monitoring community news or social media so you are well aware of news relevant to your community.